Idolatry banner

Monday, July 8, 2013

Black, A Symbol of Confidence, Style, and Elegance

Every girl needs a "little black dress". I myself own, um...several. I also own big black dresses, long black dresses, short black dresses, and tons of black skirts in all shapes and sizes.

Black, to me, is a symbol of timeless style and elegance. A wardrobe that contains considerable amounts of black is a "must have". Why?

1. To start with the old adage, black goes with everything. Truer words may never have been spoken. Black looks great with any other color, though some are even more striking than others. Even when wearing solid black, it looks equally as well with gold as it does silver jewelry.

2. Black is both businesslike, and elegant. Black clothing is very businesslike. It projects an air of confidence in any work place. It does the same when worn to formal gatherings, and also gives one an air of elegance, if done properly.

3. Last, but not least, in my opinion, black can give one an air of mystery as well. Perhaps this "mystique" simply comes from the fact that black is often associated with magic, where it is usually seen as a symbol of protection. Perhaps it is the fact that it is an archetypal color, and thus ingrained in our collective psyche.

Either way, I know that when I wear black, I always feel more confident, elegant, and sometimes even more mysterious than when I wear other colors. Maybe that is just me, but it is simple what I am more comfortable in. Oh, and one last thing, black is, of course "slimming", and you know we ladies like that, don't we?

Photograph credit : Laurie Tysinger.
Model : Xena Lawson.

No comments:

Post a Comment