Idolatry banner

Monday, July 15, 2013

Dreads and Falls

I've been experimenting a lot with making dreads and falls lately. I did not make the ones above, they were made by the wonderfully talented Miss Needles.

What I have been working on are mere experiments, but I think they have been rather successful. I have made a few with the synthetic hair, but I made them very "tight", and they seem to be cooler and a bit more comfortable to wear.

These are made with tightly twisted kanekalon synthetic hair, and a few bits of plastic lacing I had lying about .It is the sort of lacing used to make braided lanyards for key chains and bracelets and such.
My daughter liked these, and had me make a set with black one one side, red on the other, and bells attached to the ends for her Harley Quinn cosplay outfits. These were lots of fun, and I hope to do more.
A friend gave me the idea of using fleece, which I simply cut into strips, then stretched to give a bit of a tube shape. I clipped the ends in a "V" shape, and added tiny rubber bands. This gave them the look of "demon tails", so we have dubbed those "demon dreads".

 I did the short red set above in the same manner. I think they would make great dolly dreads, as have a bit of a Raggedy Ann thing going on, and would look great with a doll costume.

The last two photos are of the ones I am working with now. They are made of tulle, and I think they are already looking very interesting. I am also working on a black set, similar to the ones the wonderful Miss Needles makes. They will have shorter pieces at the top, and look very tribal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment