Idolatry banner

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Wicked Whimsies...Review of an Enchanting Haunted Attraction

Author with Raggedy Ann and Andy  (used with their permission) 
I don't normally write about haunted houses, other than the one I work for. In fact, I don't often go to other haunted houses. However, Monday night my daughter convinced me to come along to a little haunt called Wicked Whimsies, and I am very glad she did. It was absolutely delightful. Though not a word you might normally hear with regard to a haunted attraction, "delightful" is a very apt description of this one, if you can only use one word.

Wicked Whimsies is a very interesting little haunt in Pfafftown, North Carolina (just outside of Winston Salem). It is unique for several reasons. One reason is its fairy tale/storybook theme. Now you know why I deemed it delightful. However, these particular fairy tales have gone a bit "wrong". I won't give things away by telling you the plot line to this storybook adventure, but I will say that it kept me intrigued from the first appearance of Raggedy Ann and Andy at the beginning, to the fairies who want to catch and keep you in the middle, to Peter, Peter's Pumpkin at the end.

If you can keep me intrigued at a haunt, you are doing quite well indeed. I do not "scare", or even startle (believe me, my kids have tried for years). Nothing at any haunt I have ever been to has ever had such an effect on me. The fact that these people even intrigued me is saying something unique in itself. I must congratulate all of you at Wicked Whimsies on this monumental achievement.

Other unique factors behind this haunt include owner, Jenn Turner Janus, who works in conjunction with West Central Community Center to make all this wonderment happen. From what I gathered speaking with the owner, the Community Center allows her and the crew to use the land adjacent to  the Community Center, and in return, half the proceeds from the haunt go to the Center. I find this to be a lovely symbiotic relationship that shows true community spirit and goodwill. 

The actors at Wicked Whimsies are superb, each and every one. Not one of them fell out of character for a single instant that I noticed. That is a hard task in itself, especially when you consider that several of them were mere children. I have never seen a group of haunt actors so in sync with one another, and with the individual characters they portrayed at the same time. I would list a few of my favorites, but they were all so very excellent at their jobs, it would be hard to choose (though I will admit, Ann and Andy were so adorable, I attempted to take them home with me). The younger children are very impressive in their skill and professionalism, and all the older actors show obvious seasoning and talent as well.

Another amazing aspect of this haunt is that all the actors and workers are all volunteers. The making of the sets, costumes, make up designs, and the depth of the actors are even more impressive in light of this. It is obvious that everyone involved in creating and presenting Wicked Whimsies does all these things as a true labor of love. The sets are gorgeous, the make up and costumes are very elaborate and professional in their detail, and the actors give you your moneys worth, and then some. I highly recommend it to anyone in the area. It would even be worth a bit of traveling if you truly enjoy such things. 

Authors note : This review is totally unsolicited. It is based on a group trip taken by myself, and some of my fellow actors from Kersey Valley Spookywoods on Monday, October the 20th, 2013. The owner did allow us free admission as a professional courtesy, which was greatly appreciated by all. Spookywoods does return such courtesies in kind. It is also based on my conversations with the very warm and friendly owner, Jenn Janus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment