Idolatry banner

Thursday, October 24, 2013

How to Make Fake Blood, My Personal Recipe

Author photo of plastic heart in fake blood.
There are many recipes to be found online for making fake blood for Halloween, haunted houses, and movie effect purposes. A few are probably similar to mine, in that they involve three main ingredients : cornstarch, water, and red food coloring. I am including a few personal touches that work nicely for different needs, however.


Ingredients:

1 quart of water
1 cup of cornstarch
1 bottle of red food coloring
(optional) 1 bottle of Grenadine syrup

Directions :

In a large pot, bring one quart of water to a boil slowly, stirring one cup of cornstarch in as you go. The mixture should start to thicken as it begins to boil. The desired thickness can vary, If you simply want a good blood, stop now, allow it to cool, and add red food coloring to desired darkness. I suggest doing this in whatever container you are going to store it in, and shaking it well afterward.

However, if you want a more "congealed" appearance to your blood, as I usually do, you may want to stir in a bit more cornstarch as the mixture cools. I even like to leave it a bit lumpy, or scorch it a bit, as this can add the illusion of bits of tissue being mingled with the blood. It all depends on the look you are going for, and experimentation is recommended in that regard. I am merely telling you what works for me.

Another addition I make when I can afford it is Grenadine syrup. This is really only advisable if you are going to be putting the mixture in your mouth, as I usually do. In this manner, I can make the eating of a heart (made of a sponge material, plastic, or latex, of course), or other organ or body part look very authentic, as it actually tastes good. There is also something to be said for the extra thickness and color the grenadine can give your blood, but I don't recommend it unless you will be using it in your mouth, and are prepared to get a bit sticky.

That is my personal recipe, and tips on what works for me. I invite you all to experiment if you need blood for a Halloween project of any kind, and do let me know your results.

Source : My 9 plus years working at a haunted attraction, and hands on practice as a "kitchen witch", and mom at Halloween.

Originally published on FullofKnowledge, October, 22nd, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment