Idolatry banner

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Giving Thanks for the Chuckles, Mom

My Thanksgiving was absolutely wonderful. I got to see my grand baby, and she wasn't even scared of me this time. My mom made me even happier with her explanation as to why. You see, this has been bugging me for quite some time, and I thought it was because I scared her one time (accidentally, I SWEAR!), or just because, well...just because I must look THAT darn creepy.

Much to my delight and surprise, my mother explained that when she and my daughter pulled up in front of our house for Thanksgiving dinner, my two and a half year old grand daughter, Lily exclaimed, "THERE'S THAT GRANNY GIRL!" My mother's wonderful insight into this was that I don't look old enough to BE her granny, and it freaks her out a little, and that is why she is usually so weird around me. Naturally, this made me chuckle a bit, especially when I thought about all the times my daughter, Lita and I were mistaken for sisters. Let me tell you, Lita HATES it when people say this too.

My children, of course loved the "Granny Girl" moniker for reasons of their own. They wasted no time in finding all sorts of merriment in styling her an unlikely super hero who could "gum you to bits in a single boundless bite". This is to be expected in my house. We are all stand up comedians in our own right when collected together in a room of our familial peers.

In the end, I must say that I thank my mom for this lovely little insight of hers. It made my day even better. It even made up for a bit for the way you always told me I was too fat when I'd gain a little weight, and too skinny when I would lose a little, mom, so "thank you", indeed.

All in all it was the most wonderful holiday I have had in a long time. I got to see my mom, my daughter, and my grand daughter, and we all had a grand old time. I don't get to see them often, so that is my real explanation for my grand baby's apparent fear of me. However, this time we played and laughed, and she even gave me hugs and kisses. I also got to spend time with my mom and my daughter too. I couldn't be happier. It was the best Thanksgiving ever.

Image Credit : Laurie Tysinger, taken of my grand daughter Lily on Thanksgiving, 2013. She still doesn't look very enthused with me.

Originally published on FullofKnowledge, November 29th, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment