Idolatry banner

Thursday, March 13, 2014

An Advantage of the Recent Ice Storm

No, you don't normally associate ice storms with many positive aspects, but the one we had here last week certainly brought me a bounty indeed. I have a friend who has a Willow tree in their yard, and they were nice enough to bring me some of the branches and twigs they had to clean up from their yard when it was over.

What in the world will I do with Willow twigs and branches you ask? Why, many things would be my reply. First and foremost, for those unaware, Willow is the source of aspirin. My daughter has had frequent migraines since she was 5. She is now 17, and one of her favorite remedies is to simply chew on a Willow twig. I can also make tea for her from the bark, but she usually prefers to simply chew the stems and twigs, which I will dry out and store in jars for future use.

In addition to medicinal purposes, I also like to make things from the branches. Willow has a very spiritual natural, and is great for many of my little "woo-hoo" projects, such as wands and staffs. It is not the easiest wood to carve right now, but I've found that once I dry it out for a bit, the task becomes much easier.

Some of the pieces my friend brought me are also sized nicely to make walking sticks, so we may have a few of those as well. He is returning with a bigger one or two if he can find them, and those may even become full sized staffs, an item quite often used by many of my "characters" at the haunted house. I have several already, ranging everywhere from "tribal" to "wizardly".

Lastly, when my daughter saw the long wispy twigs with tiny buds, she immediately insisted I make her a garland of them, to wear in her hair with the green dress I am altering for her to wear to prom this year. Oddly enough, my children wonder why I am convinced that I must live forever. I've far to much to do to think otherwise...even with regard to a small bundle of Willow twigs and branches!

Previously published on Bubblews, March 12th, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment