Idolatry banner

Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Joys of Running a Thrift Store

As I prepare to embark on a new adventure running a thrift store once again, I thought I'd share some of my previous adventures. It was a very rewarding experience for me, and I have missed it greatly. I hope to have the new store up and running before the new year.

Running a store yourself is very different from working in one. I have done both. I have been clerk, advertising and display designer, assistant manager, and manager. The last of these actually encompasses most of the others, so is obviously more challenging.  Still, my favorite by far has to be manager. This is because, being the manager myself, I was actually able to add the feature of being allowed to help those in need.

This was the most rewarding part of any job I have ever had. Because we ran primarily off of donations, and there was never a shortage of these, I was able to help burned out families, single parents, struggling new couples, those who had lost jobs, and even homeless people.

You have no idea how good it felt to be able to bring in a family who had lost their home and possessions to fire, hand them a buggy, and tell them to simply get what they needed. Such things were the highlight of many of my days for about a year, and would have continued to be, had I been able to stay there. Fortunately, this time, I will not only be manager, but also part owner, so perhaps I can be of even more service to my community.

The mere fact that I sold most things for a dollar per item was in itself a blessing. I fully intend to continue this practice as much as possible with my new store. Even things that have to be sold for more, should be far cheaper than you would find them in most thrift stores, variety shops, second hand stores, flea markets, and vintage shops.

One of my favorite stories from my previous store involved a burned out family who still live in my town. I was able to give them clothing, household items, furniture, and even replace the stuffed animals their daughters lost to the ravages of fire. As they left that day, with tears of gratitude in their eyes, I asked if there was anything else they might need that I could could keep an eye out for. The mother told me I had done far too much already, but after some convincing, I finally got her to let slip that it might be nice to have a microwave to go in their new kitchen.

Imagine my surprise, when just before I closed the shop that day, a man pulled up with a truck full of donations, and the first thing he pulls off of it is a microwave. I immediately called the family, and had them pick it up the next morning. They could not believe their good fortune, and later became regular and valued customers when they got back on their feet.

I had many such occurrences in that store. Synchronicity very much favored my endeavors at various times during my year there. Perhaps I will share more of these happy little coincidences as the opening of my new store approaches.

http://fullofknowledge.com/2013/08/the-joys-of-running-a-thrift-store/

No comments:

Post a Comment